Sunday, October 19, 2008

John Maeda Article

Although I do not know much and Graphic Artist John Maeda, he is someone I think I would look up to. While so many people look at what they "can do", John aim of focus is what we "should do".

Formerly a MIT-trained technologist, Jown worked on complex eye-appealing devices. He came to the realization that most people that own these devices don't even know how to use all the different applications they carry. Technologists don't care about informing the general population on how to use certain features or even which ones they might actually need; rather how many applications they can put onto a device. Why would they want to do this? The answer is simple; marketing and peer competition. The more features something has the better it will sell. I find this to be true when thinking back to the time I was shopping for my laptop. So much emphasis was put on all the different features you could get for the money rather than picking one that would be functional for what I needed it for.

John Maeda has realized the wrong in this and has now transferred to Rhode Island School of Design in hopes of preventing this greedy way of thinking from taking over by using the foundational principles of art and design to do it.

No comments: